As a freelance SEO (search engine optimization) specialist, knowing how much to charge your clients can be a tricky situation. You don’t want to price yourself out of the market, but you also don’t want to undersell yourself and end up in a situation where you’re not earning what you’re worth.
In this article, we’re going to dive into what to expect when it comes to SEO freelance rates, as well as ways to negotiate with clients to get the best rates possible.
What Are Typical SEO Freelance Rates?
The rates for SEO freelancers are often based on experience, expertise, and location. According to a survey conducted by SEOtribe.com, the average hourly rate for an SEO freelancer is $68/hour, with freelancers with more experience and higher expertise charging upwards of $100/hour.
Another factor that can influence freelance rates is the type of work being done. For example, a freelance SEO specialist may charge upwards of $1,000/month for ongoing optimization work, while others may charge per project.
How to Negotiate with Clients for Higher Rates
When negotiating with clients for higher rates, it’s important to approach the conversation in a professional and respectful manner. Here are a few tips to consider:
1. Research industry standards: Before negotiating with a client, do your research into what other SEO freelancers are charging for similar work. This will help you come up with a rate that’s fair and competitive.
2. Highlight your expertise: When discussing rates with clients, highlight your expertise in the field and explain why your work is worth the investment.
3. Emphasize the value you bring: Instead of focusing on your hourly rate, emphasize the value you bring to the client’s business. This will help them see the ROI potential of working with you.
4. Offer alternative options: If a client is hesitant to pay your requested rate, offer alternative options such as a reduced scope of work or a longer-term contract in exchange for higher rates.
5. Be flexible: While it’s important to know your worth, it’s also important to be flexible and willing to negotiate. Consider offering a trial period or a discount for new clients to build trust and prove your value.
In conclusion, as a freelance SEO specialist, it’s important to know your worth and negotiate fair rates with your clients. Doing the research, highlighting your expertise and value, and being flexible and professional throughout the negotiation process can help you achieve the rates you deserve.